Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The Best Gluten Free Biscuits I Have Made! Recipe

I must have tried over a dozen gluten free biscuit recipes before I finally discovered one that was really good! I've tried different flour variations, I've tried some with butter, some with shortening, and some with coconut oil. I've tried roll out biscuits, and I've tried drop biscuits.

It turns out the best recipe is the simplest one. 

I found this recipe on Domestifluff.com.

They came out nice and fluffy and slightly chewy on the bottom. They where most delicious with brown rice sausage gravy, and with butter and jelly too!


The Recipe:

Some notes on the biscuits:
Biscuits seem to be very picky when it comes to alterations. In other words, I wouldn't use the whole egg. Every time I use whole eggs, they don't come out right! Also they turn out best if you use the flours specified. I've tried different flour variations with undesirable results.
The one thing you can change however, is the butter amount. I think an extra 2-4 TBS of butter actually improved this recipe.
You can also make your own buttermilk, if you don't have any on hand. I did this and it worked fine! Just mix 1 TBSP of white vinegar with 1 cup of milk, and lit sit for 5 minutes. Wala!


Gluten Free Buttermilk Biscuits

Makes 10 to 12 biscuits

Ingredients:

1 cup cornstarch
1 cup brown rice flour
1 tsp. xantham gum
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
4 TBSP. butter, unsalted, chilled, cut into small cubes
1 cup buttermilk
2 egg whites

Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Butter a baking sheet or a muffin pan.

2. In a medium mixing bowl, add cornstarch, brown rice flour, xantham gum, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
Combine with a fork until ingredients are evenly distributed throughout the mix. Add the chilled butter cubes and work the butter into dry ingredients with fingers or pastry cutter, until the mixture has a sandy, crumbly texture.

3. In a small measuring cup, measure the buttermilk and add the egg whites. Whip with a fork for a couple of minutes. Pour the wet ingredients into the mixture of dry ingredients and butter and work with a fork until just combined.. This is a wet sticky dough, and at this point I would drop them into muffin tins. The muffin tin method is my favorite way to make biscuits!

If you want to roll them out, then:
Spray your hands with cooking spray and turn the dough onto a floured or non-stick surface (or another sheet of parchment paper), forming it into a 3/4 inch thick disc. Spray your dough cutter with cooking spray and cut as many biscuits as you can from the dough, reforming and cutting until the dough is gone.

Move the biscuits to the baking sheets and place in the oven. Immediately lower the temperature to 400 degrees F and bake for 15 to 18 minutes, or until the bottoms are golden brown. 

Serve them any way you like! They are supposed to store well in the freezer too, though I have not personally tested this yet (they always disappear before that happens!)

No comments: