Thursday, April 8, 2010

New Stuff!

I am excited to announce that I have finally invested in the SB-6oo flash unit! This flash is so cool, and allows for a lot more flexibility in flash photography. With 3 lights, I can now improve my lighting techniques!

The SB-600 is a powerful flash with great features. For now, lets just stick with the basics.

Ok ok, lets stick with my favorite feature!

While the SB-600 can be mounted on your Nikon camera, it can also be used wirelessly, like a strobe.
You simply use the built in flash to command the SB-600 wirelessly.
Put it on a stand with a soft box or umbrella, and you have the perfect little strobe for your studio! Many photographers like these so well, that they recommend purchasing 2 or 3 of these for a professional studio setup.
Of course, I'd love to do that in the future, but if you look at the price on Amazon, you'll know why I haven't done that yet :-P Of course, I did get a really good deal on a brand new one on Ebay from a really nice seller who lives in Michigan, but that's beside the point!



And now for some results. Now that I have 3 lights instead of just 2, I can get much more creative with my lighting. These 2 pictures are just the beginning, but of course, I've only had the flash for a couple of days, so give me some time please!

I used my continuous lights, one above, and one to the left side. Since I don't yet have a third light stand, I held my flash in one hand, and with the other I held a white sheet of paper in front of it for diffusion. I positioned it in front but slightly to the right. I don't remember how high I held it, I did some experimenting until I found the right position though.

I put the camera on a tripod and set the self timer for 10 seconds to allow myself time to get into position.



So let me know what you think about the pictures!

2 comments:

Rebekah said...

The lighting is beautiful on both photographs! Your composition is really good too! :)

Can you change the angle of the flash - like does it have a hing? I would love to get one of those sometime! (If I can ever afford it!)

To the KING be all the glory!
Rebekah

BLOG: http://www.donotgrowweary.com/blog

"Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth." 2 Timothy 2:15

JoyousTreasures said...

Rebekah, yes it does have a swivel, so I can point it up to bounce light of the ceiling! Pretty nifty!