Sunday, October 18, 2009

A new adventure

Some of you may or may not know that I have begun a new adventure...a gluten free adventure. After studying my symptoms, (which I have struggled with for some time) and after doing lots of research, I have decided that gluten is most likely the problem.

It really isn't a for sure thing, but in a few months, say, another 6 months, I should know for sure. The reason it will take so long for me to be positive is because it takes a long time to cleanse the gluten out of your system, and then it takes time to heal once the gluten is gone.

After that I should really be able to tell.

So, meanwhile, I've been experimenting with cooking gluten free! So far it hasn't been too bad. The first thing I tried was cinnamon rolls. I hadn't had any bread products for some time, and I was really hungry for cinnamon rolls.

They look absolutely beautiful! They didn't taste quite as good as they look, but they still tasted pretty good for being made with rice flour, tapioca starch, potato starch, and corn starch. Yeah, they did taste a little on the starchy side, but I was glad to have them!



And then I tried the chocolate cake in a mug...awesome! Apparently rice flour isn't half bad when it comes to chocolate cake, because I quite enjoyed this. Maybe I'll dump some ice cream on top of that next time we have it! You just throw a few ingredients into a mug and cook in the microwave for a couple of minutes.



And next I made bread, also with rice flour and potato starch. Ok, this one really made me miss wheat! It really wasn't too bad, but still not nearly as good as wheat, so I definitely need to work on this one. Partly I think I didn't let it rise enough, but I'll be making it again before long, so I'll be able to try again.



I plan on posting recipes in the future. At the moment I'm getting many of my recipes from thebakingbeauties.blogspot.com I've got my eye on some pretty yummy looking stuff there.

I also plan on posting more information about gluten sensitivity and it's symptoms, so stay tuned if you want to hear more about that.

3 comments:

Abby Young said...

Hello!
Gluten-free Baking Classics by Annaleise Roberts is THE BEST GF cookbook ever! The subway sandwhich bread is really good!

JoyousTreasures said...

Thanks for the info Abby!

FourMileFarm said...

Here's our brownie recipe which you might like to try.

http://gluten-4-punishment.blogspot.com/2007/10/gluten-free-brownies.html

Everyone loves these, even people who are not gluten free. We take it to church when we have a potluck and the whole pan gets eaten up every time!