Saturday, October 31, 2009

Gluten Free Pancakes

So I made pancakes yesterday! Nobody should have to go without pancakes. So I scoured the internet looking for a decent one, and ended up finding one that worked pretty well, but I made some adjustments to suit my liking.

See, here they are! And they tasted pretty good too!



Adjustments you say? Yep, they where too thin, with not enough sugar or baking powder in them, and they used sugar substitute, milk powder and water, which I really didn't like, so I fixed that right up. I also had to cut the recipe in half, because I'm the only one eating these, and even at that, they will last me for 3 or 4 breakfasts :)

So here we go, my improvisation of the recipe.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gluten Free Pancake Recipe


Ingredients:

1/2 cup rice flour
1 1/2 tablespoons tapioca flour (or starch)
2 tablespoons potato starch
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 egg
1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
1 cup buttermilk

Directions:

In a bowl, mix or sift together all dry ingredients. Stir in egg, buttermilk, and oil until few lumps remain.
Heat a medium sized oiled skillet. Spoon the batter one table spoon at a time into the skillet, I did about 3 or 4 tablespoons for 5 inch pancakes.

This makes approximately 10 5 inch pancakes. They are nice and fluffy, and with butter and syrup, I hardly noticed they where gluten free.

You can use brown or white rice flour, I made them with brown rice flour once, and white rice flour the second time. I think I liked the brown rice flour better!

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Rebekah said...

Hello,

My name is Rebekah. I found your blog on Jessica's blog. I too love music. I am working on becoming a excellent pianist - right now I am a good pianist - just not excellent. :p

My entire family is actually on the Gluten Free diet - we have been for about two years now. Your pancakes look delicious!! :)

To the KING be all the glory!
Rebekah

BLOG: http://www.donotgrowweary.com/blog

"Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth." 2 Timothy 2:15

Susan said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog. Nice to meet a lovely young homeschooled lady!